[rotation] Request for Comment -- Nomenclature Guidelines

Charles Adam Langston (clangstn) clangstn at memphis.edu
Thu Jan 24 20:04:22 CET 2008

John and the Working Group,

Attached are some comments on your paper.

Thanks.

Chuck Langston

Charles A. Langston
Center for Earthquake Research and Information
University of Memphis
3876 Central Ave., Suite 1
Memphis, TN 38152-3050

clangstn at memphis.edu
http://www.ceri.memphis.edu/~clangstn
(901) 678-4869
(901) 678-4734 (Fax)

On 1/16/08 3:23 PM, "John R Evans" <jrevans at usgs.gov> wrote:

Dear Colleagues,

Attached (and at <ftp://ehzftp.wr.usgs.gov/jrevans/IWGoRS/><ftp://ehzftp.wr.usgs.gov/jrevans/IWGoRS/>) is a short note we hope to publish in the upcoming BSSA special issue.

It is intended to guide the nomenclature authors use in that issue (and perhaps more generally) so that no one need publish any other color plots of axes nor difficult to understand monochrome plots and as a courtesy to readers.  Additionally, we hope to ease the communications between our various groups since there seems to be some variance of terminology.

The first half of the paper we hope will be largely uncontroversial though I am certain that improvements can be made.

In the latter half, I suggest the terms "pitch", "roll", and "yaw" as terse equivalent terms because they currently carry no baggage that I know of in seismology and engineering but are well defined from aeronautics and nautical design.  I am certainly not wedded to the terms and would be fine with simply using the formal pseudovector definitions from the first half of the paper.

I am urging that we drop terms like "spin" and "torsion" since these do not seem to be used consistently or at least not to be well defined in the English literature.  This choice too may be somewhat controversial, but I think we would do well to start from precedents in physics and other fields to stabilize our own usage.

At present this suggested terminology covers only point rotations, whereas we will also need terms for rotational stresses and strains.  I am completely open to suggestions for these terms, particularly where well-used precedent can be cited.

Please make any comments you have by the method of Change Tracking in the attached Word document if you can use it.  Otherwise, please see the Acrobat version and send me text comments.

Willie, Maria, Heiner, and I urge you to adopt whatever the Working Group finally chooses by this comment technique.  I reverently hope that the 2 MB size of the attachments will not cause harm to anyone's e-mail system.

All the best,
John

Dr. John R. Evans
jrevans at usgs.gov
650-329-4753

U.S. Geological Survey
345 Middlefield Rd, MS-977
Menlo Park  CA  94025

All Federal e-mail, outgoing and incoming,
is permanently archived.