[rotation] Twiss et al. paper

John R Evans jrevans at usgs.gov
Tue Jan 29 23:44:41 CET 2008

(I apologize for sending this twice to some of you.)

Dear Colleagues,

As part of the wonderful, ongoing discussion of nomenclature, Willie has
asked me to pass on this paper within our little community.  The full
citation is:

Twiss R. J., B. J. Souter, and J. R. Unruh, The effect of block rotations
on the global seismic moment tensor and the patterns of seismic P and T
axes, J. Geophys. Res., 98, no. B1, 645?674, 1993.

It is almost 8 MB so I put it on our public ftp site (it may take a few
minutes to actually show up there).  It can be found with a browser at <
ftp://ehzftp.wr.usgs.gov/jrevans/TwissEtAl_JGR_1993.pdf/>.

As indicated in a previous note, all of you who contribute to the
nomenclature conversation will be listed as explicit coauthors at the head
of the paper, which Willie tells me will be the first paper following the
special-issue introduction paper as a means of helping readers understand
the terminology used in all subsequent papers.

He also suggests, and I strongly concur, that extended contributions like
those from Castenelli and Langston become appendices with attribution to
the particular authors.  If acceptable to all, I will include a citation
suggestion to the effect "Appendix X by <author> in Evans et al., 2009" or
some such (suggestions welcomed).

All the best,
John

Dr. John R. Evans
jrevans at usgs.gov
650-329-4753

U.S. Geological Survey
345 Middlefield Rd, MS-977
Menlo Park  CA  94025

All Federal e-mail, outgoing and incoming,
is permanently archived.