[rotation] Rotational seismometers

Pierson, Bob bob.pierson at atacorp.com
Thu Apr 14 00:02:18 CEST 2016

Dear Jianghui -

I lead a program at Applied Technology Associates (New Mexico, US) to develop a new generation of rotational seismometers.  Our commercially available magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) angular rate sensors have been used in several field deployments for rotational seismometry over the past few years.  Currently, we are working with the U.S. Department of Energy Geothermal Technology Office to develop prototype Seismic MHD (SMHD) sensors for micro-seismic applications with extremely low noise floors at 1 Hz and above.  The attached abstract, recently submitted to SEG, gives a very top level overview of the intent of the program and the noise floor performance for both existing sensors and the expected SMHD prototypes.  Under this program, about a dozen prototypes will be available by the last quarter of this year (2016) - possibly earlier - and are specifically intended for immediate near-surface deployment to support field experiments that validate the utility of rotational seismic data.  If your application qualifies (I believe you are working at Scripps?), the prototypes might be available as loaners for your use.  We are identifying and qualifying potential field deployments now.

I would be glad to talk to you about your application, sensor performance needs and time frame for future sensor deliveries.

All the best,

-          Bob Pierson / ATA