[rotation] Strong-motion seismogeodesy with the aid of rotational seismometers

Jianghui Geng jhgeng1982 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 04:35:59 CEST 2020

Dear colleagues,

I hope you and your family are all good in the difficult pandemic situation.

As a new application, we used rotational seismometers to augment GNSS
receivers’ carrier-phase tracking capability. GNSS displacements at
near-source stations can be biased by up to 100% in both amplitude and
phase due to fierce earthquake strike, which will discredit their
contribution to earthquake studies. We thus developed a new GNSS receiver
architecture by injecting accelerometer/gyroscope-recorded ground motions
into the receivers to compensate their phase-lock loops for strong seismic
motion stress, aiming at keeping steady carrier-phase tracking. In a shake
table test simulating 2008 Wenchuan earthquake recordings, the amplitude
and phase error of GNSS displacements are reduced by 80%. The displacement
accuracy in terms of RMS is better than 2mm. Such deep coupling of seismic
sensors with GNSS chipset will also enable 6DOF seismogeodesy (see
doi.org/10.1029/2018GL081398). We believe that the
accelerometer/gyroscope-augmented GNSS receivers are ideal strong-motion
seismograph to capture trustworthy broadband displacements in the very near
fields. The relevant article can be found at doi.org/10.1029/2020GL087161.

Regards,

--

Jianghui GENG