[rotation] 15 seismology PhD positions available in European Training Network "SPIN"

Celine Hadziioannou celine.hadziioannou at uni-hamburg.de
Fri Feb 12 12:17:47 CET 2021

Dear colleagues,

We are very happy to announce the start of a new EU Innovative Training
Network in Seismology.

Within the *SPIN „Monitoring a Restless Earth”* Innovative Training
Network, we are *currently recruiting 15 highly motivated PhD students*,
or “Early-Stage Researchers” (ESRs). SPIN is funded by the European
Commission under the Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska-Curie Action (MSCA).

SPIN will train 15 PhD candidates in emerging measurement technologies
in seismology such as DAS, large N arrays and rotational sensors. We
will develop survey designs that optimise this novel technology to
improve the monitoring of geohazards. Using models for the complex
response of Earth materials to stress,  and the field observations from
novel sensor types, we aim to detect and exploit time-dependent material
changes to improve forecasting of real emerging natural hazards.

SPIN brings together a network <https://spin-itn.eu/consortium/> of
excellent research departments, industrial partners, observatories and
governmental organizations. This interdisciplinary and inter-sectoral
network will enable the PhD candidates to gain international expertise
at excellent research institutions, with a meaningful exposure of each
candidate to other disciplines and sectors.

*PhD Positions are available at the following institutes:*
- University of Hamburg (D)
- LMU Munich (D)
- University of Edinburgh (UK)
- ETH Zurich (CH)
- ISTerre Grenoble (F)
- Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (F)
- GFZ Potsdam (D)
- Dublin Institute for Advances Studies (IE)
- British Geological Survey (UK)

The positions will have staggered starting dates between April-October
2021 for a duration of 3 years.
For more information on the SPIN project, on application procedures, as
well as full descriptions of each PhD position, please refer to the
*SPIN website: **http://spin-itn.eu*

You can also follow and retweet us on *twitter*: twitter.com/spin_itn
<https://twitter.com/spin_itn>

/*Please share this announcement with any potential candidates and
distribute to internal mailing lists at your institute!
*/

best,
Celine Hadziioannou
/**/

--

*Prof. Dr. Céline Hadziioannou *
University of Hamburg

Tel. +49 (0)40 42838 2980
Mail: celine.hadziioannou at uni-hamburg.de
<mailto:celine.hadziioannou at uni-hamburg.de>
Web : http://celine.hadzii.com
Coordinator of *SPIN ITN* ``Monitoring a Restless Earth''
http://spin-itn.eu