[rotation] paper announcement

Graizer, Vladimir Vladimir.Graizer at nrc.gov
Thu Feb 18 14:34:28 CET 2021

Dear Colleagues,
I’d like to draw special attention of younger colleagues to a recently published paper appearing in SRL:

My article shows the technical and ethical benefits of appropriate referencing your predecessors.

Comment on “Dynamic Tilt Correction Using Direct Rotational Motion Measurements” by Felix Bernauer, Joachim Wassermann, and Heiner Igel
Abstract
This article identifies deficiencies in paper of Bernauer et al. (2020) in performing and describing shake table and numerical/synthetic testing of newly designed seismic instruments for recording complex translational and rotational motion. In my opinion this is a result from a deficiency in referencing previously published peer-reviewed papers in this area. I also disagree with Bernauer et al. (2020) interpretation of the origin of errors in a vertical sensor’s recording since the sensitivity of a vertical pendulum type sensor to small tilts is much lower than that of the horizontal. Complete differential equations of pendulum type horizontal and vertical seismometers are presented and examples of previously performed numerical and shake table tests of seismic instruments are shown.

https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/ssa/srl/article/doi/10.1785/0220200250/594795/Comment-on-Dynamic-Tilt-Correction-Using-Direct

Vladimir Graizer; Comment on “Dynamic Tilt Correction Using Direct Rotational Motion Measurements” by Felix Bernauer, Joachim Wassermann, and Heiner Igel. Seismological Research Letters 2021; doi: https://doi.org/10.1785/0220200250