[rotation] New Publication on Simulated Near-Fault Ground Strains and Rotations

Yenan Cao yenan.cao at gmail.com
Sun May 9 20:16:30 CEST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to our recent GJI publication on the
simulation of near-fault ground strains and rotations from actual
strike-slip earthquakes:

Cao, Yenan and G. P. Mavroeidis (2021). "Simulation of near-fault ground
strains and rotations from actual strike-slip earthquakes: case studies of
the 2004 Mw 6.0 Parkfield, the 1979 Mw 6.5 Imperial Valley, and the 1999 Mw
7.5 Izmit earthquakes", Geophysical Journal International, in press.
https://doi.org/10.1093/gji/ggab174

If you are interested in general aspects of synthetic strains and
rotations, you may also find our previously published BSSA papers useful:

Cao, Yenan and G. P. Mavroeidis (2019). "A parametric investigation of
near-fault ground strains and rotations using finite-fault simulations",
Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 109, No. 5, pp.
1758-1784. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120190045

Cao, Yenan, G. P. Mavroeidis, and M. Ashoory (2018). "Comparison of
observed and synthetic near-fault dynamic ground strains and rotations from
the 2004 Mw 6.0 Parkfield, California, earthquake", Bulletin of the
Seismological Society of America, Vol. 108, No. 3A, pp. 1240-1256.
https://doi.org/10.1785/0120170227

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Best Regards,
Yenan

Yenan Cao, Ph.D.

Modeler